Easy Agile are an Australian-founded bootstrapped start-up. Profitable from year 1, we are on a truly unique journey with an emphasis on self/family/community/work balance, while growing a high-performing team. Due to our extremely fortunate position, we are driven by giving back to our community and our people - enabling our people to live the lives they dream of.
Based in Wollongong on the NSW South Coast (~1 hr south of Sydney), we are doing some seriously meaningful stuff! We care about our work, our families, our hobbies and our health and wellbeing (the list goes on). That’s why we’ve positioned ourselves in Wollongong - to enjoy an easy commute and the coastal lifestyle needed to fill our cup. We offer flexible working and optimise for collaboration and connection as a team each quarter.
We believe that being agile is a mindset, and that true agility unlocks a team’s potential to be happier at work, more impactful with the solutions they’re building, and more focused on their customer’s success! That’s why our purpose is to help teams not just do agile, but be agile. We’re proud to call over 1,900 companies our customers, including Netflix, Harvard, Amazon, Lego, Mercedes and Twitter.
As our first Head of Engineering, you will lead 3 Engineering Managers and our 4 engineering teams. You will report directly to one of our founders and lead our engineering strategy, grow our team from 17-30 in the next 6 months and empower the team members to achieve their goals and make the best decisions for our customers. You will partner with our design and product management teams to influence the direction of our products. We are looking for a passionate engineering leader to scale our team, processes and tech to support us to reach our goal of helping more than 100,000 enterprise agile teams every week. Here's a snapshot of the responsibilities of the role:
- Lead our team of high-performing engineers. You'll be responsible for the overall performance of our engineering team. You will have 3 Engineering Managers report to you who you will support through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback, and career development.
- Scale the team. There’s plenty of future growth and investment in the engineering team as we build out our capabilities, including new areas of insights and recommendations. You will help to create the vision, strategy, hiring and defining what success looks like.
- Generate and implement process improvements, especially cross-team and delivery processes while maintaining quality.
- Work with the product team to define engineering practices for shipping products our customers love.
- Reporting directly to our founders you will support our strategic plan for our product vision.
- As we grow you will evolve and grow the team in a sustainable fashion.
- You will help us grow our diverse, equitable and inclusive company.
- Coach and empower the Engineering Managers and Staff Engineers to build the technical strategy and strong practices in architecture and security.
About you (what we hope you bring to the team):
- You are a people-first, empathetic leader who has successfully led a team of 30+ engineers. You get genuinely excited about seeing your team members succeed and achieve their career goals.
- You have been through a scaling journey and are familiar with the leadership required to push through ambiguity. You’ve implemented practices and processes to ensure velocity was maintained and teams had minimal disruption and maximum alignment.
- You are experienced at building a strong engineering culture in a cross-functional environment grounded in lean principles and agile practices.
- You are customer obsessed and always empower teams to solve with the customer front of mind.
- You are experienced and enjoy working directly with senior leaders or founders to push the business forward.
- You can create a vision and rally a team around you to achieve a mission.
- You have strong software engineering fundamentals to ensure you are able to support your team to make larger technical decisions.
- Unique and generous Employee Share Option Plan (ESOP) - Read more about it here (https://www.easyagile.com/blog/ownership-at-easy-agile/)
- Flexible working options (because we value outcomes over output)
- Four paid volunteer days a year to dedicate to your favourite cause
- An annual learning allowance of $5,000 to help you up-level your skills
- Quarterly experimentation hackathon weeks to explore new ideas - Read more about it here (https://www.easyagile.com/blog/why-i-m-stoked-on-inception-weeks/)
- 2% in additional superannuation contributions per annum
- Company-funded parental leave (20 weeks full pay for the primary caregiver and 6 weeks for the secondary caregiver)
- Summer sessions where you get half days off on Fridays to enjoy the amazing weather as you please
- $2000 to put towards your home-office fit-out (if you choose to work from home)
- Quarterly team off-sites to invest in collaboration and connection.
- Opportunities to travel overseas to conferences to learn more about our customers and agile
If you are excited about this role but not sure if you meet all of the criteria, please apply. Research shows women and minority groups are less likely to apply for roles where they don't meet 100% of the criteria. We value punching above our weight and people over perfection, so go ahead and apply - we'd love to hear from you.
Please send an application that speaks directly to this position. There are no right answers or cookie-cutter expectations. Show us your role in Easy Agile’s future and Easy Agile’s role in yours. Address some of the work we do. Introduce yourself as a colleague. Give it a deep think and take this at your speed. We’re giving you our full attention. We look forward to hearing from you.