Purpose and objective of PI Planning/quarterly planning
Efficient and effective preparation for the PI Planning event is essential for achieving success. The purpose of Pre-PI planning is to establish a shared understanding of the business goals, objectives, product vision, milestones and priorities, and to create a cohesive plan for successful execution. A Program Manager or a Release Train Engineer in preparation for PI Planning, will need to be clear on who will be involved in the Program to do the work (teams), what the business wants the teams to deliver (objectives and features), and any external deadlines or events that may impact timings (milestones)
Key users (roles & responsibilities)
- Release Train Engineer (RTE): Coordinates ceremony logistics and tooling, ensuring readiness of business context, product roadmap, vision, and high-priority features for PI Planning.
- Product Managers: Define and prioritize program features, user stories, and objectives, working closely with stakeholders and customers to communicate the product vision to Agile teams.
- Product Owners: Collaborate with Product Managers, provide insights into the program backlog, prioritize user stories, and align program plans with the overall product vision and strategy.
- Business Owners/Stakeholders: Represent the organization's and stakeholders' interests, collaborate with Product Management to define business goals and objectives for the program increment.
- Solution Stakeholders (Solution Management, Solution Train Engineer, Solution Architect/Engineering): Identify architectural dependencies, make decisions supporting program objectives, and play a critical role in preparing technical aspects for PI Planning.
Pre PI Planning with Easy Agile Programs
In preparing for PI Planning our goal is to ensure that all necessary information, context, and resources are available for a successful and aligned planning session. This includes refining the backlog, aligning priorities, and clarifying the program's objectives to enable Agile teams to plan effectively.
A Release Train Engineer (RTE) is tasked with ensuring a smooth and productive PI Planning event by preparing the necessary logistics, and aligning stakeholders by setting higher level priorities and business initiatives.
- Create a new program increment
- Create and schedule issues onto the program roadmap
- Set higher level priorities and business initiatives, create and schedule third level issues
Easy Agile Programs
Easily scale planning and collaboration across teams and timezones. Align and empower teams to deliver value at scale - togetherTRY NOW